Friday, November 16, 2012

Quick and Easy Tote Tute

I've been thinking a lot about Christmas Gift ideas and how to use up my stash of fun fabric that I bought because I LOVED the print but didn't have a project in mind: enter the Easy Tote Bag.
This quick bag solved both my problems because who doesn't need a fun reusable tote?
 
I used 1/2 yard of heavier cotton canvas fabric and only had to buy 3 1/2 yards of cotton webbing for the straps. I sewed the bag using my regular sewing machine and since it is unlined, used my serger to finish the inside raw edges. Don't worry if you don't have a serger, you can always zigzag the seam allowance to prevent fraying, or consider using a colorful bias tape!
 
Here's what I did:
 
First I cut the 1/2 yard of fabric in half so I had two pieces that were 22" by 18". The 18" side is the height (if your fabric has a print that is directional like mine, make sure you note this when placing it "right side up".
 
Next I cut each webbing piece in half and pinned them individually to the right side of the fabric pieces, making a loop at the top for the strap. I placed the webbing 5" from the side of the fabric.
 
 
At the top of the bag, I pinned only up to 1 1/2" from the edge, so later I could fold the top down
as a hem.
 
Then I sewed the webbing down, along both sides

Next I took my bag pieces and laid them on top of each other with the "right sides" facing. I pinned and sewed the two sides and bottom. 
 
Then I serged the raw seam allowance.

Next to make the gusset in the bottom, separate the front fron the back and pinch a triagle in the corners, so that the side and bottom seams align. Then pin the triangle so that from one edge fold to the other is 5" wide, and sew.
 
Trim the triangle and serge or bind the seam allowance. If you serge, make sure you thread the tails back in to keep from unraveling!

Next make the top hem by folding down 1/2" once, then...

.....Fold down again 1/2", pin and top stitch close to the folded edge.
 
Press the hem and you're finished!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. love the tote, great instructions
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful directions.
    You did a great job on making it simple and fun to sew!

    ReplyDelete