Monday, October 15, 2012

Yori's accidental sweater



I spent a few months knitting this awesome wool/silk blend sweater for Justin using a pattern from a cool 60s pattern booklet. The booklet is subtitled "Choose-O-Matic" because you can take any of the patterns and alter them using the weight of yarn you want and the size. That has nothing to do with the sweater except I think the name Choose-O-Matic is awesome. 

Justin picked out the color and the fiber blend, and I figured I would make the medium based on the measurements of another sweater that he loves. However, for some reason, even though my gauge was correct, the medium turned out to be a tad too big. And he really hates the "baggy" look, even if it's just an inch or two of positive ease. Arg! I was so frustrated. 

The worst part about knitting versus sewing is that you can't really make a test garment (muslin) beforehand to get the fit correct. Live and learn. So he wasn't going to wear it and I wasn't about to start hacking away at it with my serger to get it to fit (I already ruined a sweater doing that). So my next great idea was to give it to my brother in law! He's a bit taller than Justin and the medium ended up fitting perfectly! I am so happy that it could be "salvaged" and enjoyed for all its glory. 

And I'll get the sweater right for Justin because he's requested the same one in a small. Bring on the brown yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment